NATIONAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK
FOR ALL STAFF WHO TEACH IN HIGHER EDUCATION
In 2016, following extensive research and consultancy with the Higher Education Community, The National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Ireland issued its Professional Development Framework for all Staff who Teach in Higher Education (PDF). The PDF uses the term “teach” as “inclusive of all the activities involved in the teaching and the facilitation of student learning” and also incorporates the principles of student engagement in the learning process. To promote engagement and exploration of the PDF, the Forum funded a number of pilots and projects such as L2L: Library Staff Learning to Support Learners Learning. The PDF aims to address all types of learning (formal, non-accredited, structured etc.) It is a tool which can be used at all stages of ones’ career and is designed to be used as an on-going framework for engaging with our learning and experience. It aims to:
- Empower staff to create, discover and engage in meaningful personal and professional development in a variety of ways.
- Encourage staff to engage in peer dialogue and support in their professional development activities.
- Enhance and develop the pedagogy of individual disciplines
for relevance and authenticity and enable learning from other disciplines.
- Assist staff to reflect on, plan and contribute to the evidence-based
enhancement and transformation of their teaching and learning approaches
- Contribute to the quality assurance and enhancement of the student learning experience
The values informing the Professional Development Framework include: