Exploring my Values and those of the PDF
“Values are like fingerprints. Nobody’s are the same, but you leave them over everything you do”. Elvis Presley
In the tools below, we invite you to explore your values, those of your organization and professional body and to position these into the Inquiry into Self initiation in Domain 1 of the Professional Development Framework
Values Tool 1
Look at the words below and ask yourself which resonate with you and then consider how these values impact on:
- My approach to Continued Professional Development (CPD)
- My approach to teaching and learning as a Librarian
- My approach to students
- My approach to practice
From LAI (Library Association of Ireland)
- Visionary leadership, transformation, new ideas, and global perspectives
- Exemplary service to members
- Integrity and Transparency
- Continuous learning
- Responsible stewardship of resources
From ACRL (Association of College and Research Libraries)
- Open Access
From CONUL (Consortium of National and University Libraries):
- Concern for the public good in all professional matters
- Respect for diversity within society
- Promoting equal opportunities and respect for human rights
- Concern for the good reputation of the information profession
- Commitment to the defence, access to information, ideas and works of the imagination
- Provision of the best possible service with available resources
- Equitable treatment for all information users
- Impartiality, and avoidance of inappropriate bias in acquiring and evaluation information services
- Respect for confidentiality and privacy of information users
From CILIP (The Library and Information Association, UK)
From Teaching Council Ireland
- Education and Lifelong Learning
- Intellectual Freedom
- The Public Good
- Social Responsibility
From ALA (American Library Association)
From Professional Development Framework (PDF)
Are there more to add to the list?
Values Tool 2
Write a piece about the impact of each Value on your practice and approach to CPD. Include here images and visions of how these impact at their best. Consider the relevance of each to the experience of learners.
Values Tool 3
Values of Your Organization
Find out the Values of your Organisation and Library. These are likely to be stated in Strategic Plans, Organisational Documents or perhaps even on Wall Hangings.
Identity ways these values are enacted (or not).
Consider how these Values resonate with your own, with the Values of your profession, and with the PDF.
Consider the places where you are aware of incongruence?
Write a reflection on this exploration.